Printing

Eric Ryan lion at serv.net
Thu Apr 8 06:26:17 UTC 1999

 w3, the www standards body, is pushing a vector graphics language.
A couple of excerpts from: http://www.w3.org/Press/1999/SVG-WD

>This draft is the first step in the development of a vendor-neutral,
>cross-platform and ubiquitous Web-specific format for XML vector
>graphics.  Current members of the W3C SVG Working Group are key
>industry players who brought their graphical and Web expertise to the
>design of this specification.  In alphabetical order: Adobe, Apple,
>Autodesk, Corel, HP, IBM, Inso, Macromedia, Microsoft, Netscape,
>Quark, RAL, Sun, and Visio.

>The same SVG graphic can be used multiple times on a page, but at
>different sizes, styled to use different colors and textures, or cropped
>to emphasise relevant features - all with one SVG image download. And
>that page will print with high resolution and the correct colors.

Adobe is the company that makes the language used in most laser printers.
So, we don't need to get squeak on printers - we only need to be
compatible with SVG.  Plus, it would aid exhanging info with all those
companies.
  Since SVG doesn't exist yet, there isn't much point worrying about it
now.