a question about fonts

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Fri Apr 23 18:52:44 UTC 1999

Dwight -

Thanks for the great summary info.

Something I have been pondering recently is a simple interface to leverage off rasterizing of the host OS.  Suppose you could from Squeak...

	Enumerate font/sizes in the system.
	Get the pixel height of a given font/size.
	Get the OS to display a Squeak string into a Squeak Form in a given font/size.

This is all that would be needed to derive Squeak (Strike) fonts from any font available in the OS.  One would simply display all the characters into a strikeFont "glyphs" form, and thereafter that font could be available anywhere in Squeak.

This would allow Squeak to produce documents using all the host font machinery, and to display the text on-screen as nicely as any other word processors.  With a little work on fractional widths, we could have a high-quality bridge to postscript text as well.

This is, of course, all separate from the wonderful things that can be done with Andreas's Balloon text, including rotating, stretching and anti-aliasing.

	- Dan