T-Gen and/or XML?

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at launchpados.com
Thu Apr 1 21:17:04 UTC 1999

Actually, mine is based on a C++ version my company developed from scratch
for use in a commercial product.  It's pretty close to DOM now, and now
that you mention it, I could probably take it the rest of the way there.
On the other hand, many of the idioms in a pure DOM implementation don't
map cleanly to Smalltalk conventions and some folks might find it clunky.
Mine so far has been converted to be pretty Smalltalky in spirit.

There's also to more general issue of Squeak's simple character encoding
vs. XML use of Unicode.  Has anyone looked into making Squeak at least
support UTF-8?

I'll also take a look at the InDelv implementation to see if it would be
better to port it, and how they've dealt with these issues. I'm not sure
the Mozilla license is broad enough for everyone's taste, though.  What is
the general feeling in this group about that issue?

Bolot Kerimbaev asks:
>Are you writing it from scratch? porting?
>Is it in any way related to the XML parser by InDelv?
>If not, do you have DOM implementation?
>
>Many questions...
>
>Bolot
>

>On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Duane Maxwell wrote:
>
>> G^ran Hultgren asks:
>>
>> >Or has anyone built an XML parser in Squeak?
>>
>> I have an XML parser just about ready for release.  It's a
>> "well-formedness" parser rather than a complete one (I don't yet parse and
>> enforce DTDs), but it's a pretty good start.  I'll post it when it's
>> complete - just a little testing to go, and some better handling of some
>> badly formed files.

Duane Maxwell         dmaxwell (at) launchpados.com
CTO                      http://www.launchpados.com
Launchpad, Inc.                 (619) 578-8500 x226

Information contained herein is my personal opinion
    and not necessarily that of Launchpad, Inc.