MVC rip

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald at aol.com
Thu Apr 22 15:48:05 UTC 1999

On 4/22/99 9:44:07 AM EST, Dan.Ingalls at disney.com writes:
<<  Hey, we exist but to serve.  Did you look for a message named, say,
discardMorphic?  This has been there and working since the beginning of
morphic.  Try it out. Morphic is growing not because it's a religion but
because it seems to be a better way.
      Have you looked at how existing MVC apps run under Morphic?  The truth
is that they use all the same MVC dependence protocol.  It's just that the
views an controllers are more simply integrated, and the graphics model is
considerably simpler and more general.  Pick something simple like the
fileList and compare them.  You'll see that the model-side setup is nearly
identical.  But when you move or resize morphic views, they never lose their
concreteness (although this is a preference if you're on a slow machine).
Also, in morphic, you can make the scrollbars be inboard and on the right.
Not that one would want to, but it comes along for free. >>

Dan,

I appreciate your comments. As soon as the mail was gone, I had the
embarrassing realization that I hadn't really done my homework. I realized
that I had actually been in this situation before when building a headless
Pws server some time past (i.e, #majorShrink). I didn't realize there was a
pre-planned method for this, though, so I'm glad I asked the question.

As for the use of Morphic: (1) I find myself most often on an ancient (> 1
year old) 133 mhz Pentium laptop--on this Morphic simply crawls, so I
maintain most of my work in MVC just to be able to see progress, (2) I just
spent some time with Alice. It is awesome. Also, the Morphic world in 2.4
seems to have been improved enough to enable processing at a "rapid crawl" on
my underpowered laptap. I'll keep lurking the Morphic world until I can be
productive in adopting it for some task.

Thanks,

Jerry.