Squeak and MP3

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Fri Apr 2 00:22:11 UTC 1999

Hi--

	stp writes:

> MP3 sounds marginally better than RealAudio compression. Anyone
> with working ears and headphones costing more than $3 can easily
> tell the difference between MPs and even a cheaps**t sound card.

	Hmm. I think MP3 at 128kbps or higher sounds very much better than RealAudio. The "no loss of quality" claim isn't completely silly (only mostly)... If the source has already been severely compressed spectrally (or just doesn't have any very low or high frequencies) then it compresses very well. :)

	I've written a subclass of MixedSound called ExternalSampledSound. It fetches samples from an ExternalStream (on a file or a socket, for example) while playing. It just does WAV decoding currently; it would be strightforward to make it understand MP3 (or QuickTime or whatever).

-C

--
Craig Latta
composer and computer scientist