Squeak and MP3 support?

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Thu Apr 1 23:20:54 UTC 1999

> From:	Duane Maxwell [SMTP:dmaxwell at launchpados.com]
>
> MP3 decoding is pretty compute-intensive and probably would not be a good
> candidate for C translation, which violates the Squeak Portability
> Commandment.  Most, if not all, implementations use assembly to reduce the
> CPU load to an acceptable level.  However, there's some Open Source for
> MP3 players at <http://www.freeamp.org> that could probably be wrapped in
> platform independent primitive to decode an MP3 stream to a
> Squeak-compatible sound buffer, if somebody wanted to take a stab at it
> (Chris?).

	[Norton, Chris]  Hi Duane (& co.).

	Thanks for the suggestions and the URL; I'm sure you know better
that I do about what would be required to make Squeak understand MP3 files.
Actually, I am embarrassed to admit that I don't have the slightest idea how
to compile Squeak for any platform, nor have I spent the time needed to
understand the current Squeak Audio classes or the plug-in mechanism (I
think Andreas Raab built my copy of Squeak 2.3 for Win 32).  This kind of
work is a bit beyond me at this point (I'm still a fledgling Squeaker - my
wings a still wet!).

	I offered the suggestion to the Squeak list because I thought it
might inspire someone else to pick up the baton, as it were.  With all of
the chatter about Squeak and PDA support, I thought: "Gee, the Rio(tm) MP3
player could probably be replaced by Squeak running on any ol' PDA".  This
might give the world another reason to be interested in Squeak!

	[My own Squeak projects have mostly been limited to the browser /
tools / base class areas, as I do have some experience with other Smalltalk
environments].

	I'm afraid that I have more ideas than time to implement them!   :-)

	Thanks again...

	---==> Chris