Minimum file set required for headless app?

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Sun Apr 25 15:26:59 UTC 1999

>What files are needed for a headless app to run?
>
>>From my simple testing I got to:
>- SoundCodecPrims.so
>- Squeak2.4.changes
>- Squeak2.4.image
>- Squeak3D.so
>- SqueakV2.sources
>- SqueakVM-2.4h-i386-linux-2.0.34
>
>Obviously the VM and the image are required.
>
>Originally I tried running without the sources or changes files but the
>app did not start up properly.  The VM would start fine but the app
>would not be running.  Why does Squeak require the source code to run?

SImply because the file initialization code tries to open them and then consults the user if they cannot be found.  For the time being, I would simply edit the code for
	FileDirectory>>openSources:andChanges:forImage:
so that it doesn't try to inform the user.  From then on, the system should be able to deal with missing sources and changes.

>Are the sound and 3d libraries required with a headless VM?

They should not be, unless called for, but I don't know how unix/linux manage .so files.

Hope this helps.

	- Dan