Can't Shrink Image In 2.4 VM

Lawrence Press lnp at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 28 19:48:07 UTC 1999

Is there a problem (still) with the Windows version of the Squeak 2.4 VM?
I'm unable to shrink the 2.4b image when I run it in the 2.4 VM, but I can
do
so when running that same image under the 2.3 VM. Specifically,

1. Open the 2.4b image in the 2.4 VM; on a Workspace, execute (for
   example)

 Smalltalk discardVMConstruction.
 Smalltalk discardSoundSynthesis.
 Smalltalk discardOddsAndEnds.
 Smalltalk discardNetworking.
 Symbol rehash.

  Then save and quit; the Windows Explorer shows that the image file is
  the same size as before.

2. Now open a fresh copy of the 2.4b image in the 2.3 VM, execute the same
   code as before, save and quit -- lo and behold, the image file DID
shrink.
   In fact, if you open the SAME image (instead of a fresh copy) in the 2.3
   VM, you need only execute

 Symbol rehash.

   i.e. the discards seem to have worked; it was only the rehash that
   failed.

What's going on here?

Lawrence Press
Questa Engineering Corp.