[ENH] Wheel mouse support for Win95/98

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Tue Apr 20 07:03:14 UTC 1999

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Reinier van Loon wrote:

> >How do you get Squeak to scroll without a Squeak side change? I assume you
> >did not just map the wheel to the cursor up/down movements.
>
> I did just that. Wheel up == Key up, Wheel down = Key down. Simple but
> effective.

That's what I had first, and I disliked it ;-)

> >The "usual" behavior of the wheel is IMHO to scroll without affecting the
> >caret's position
> >position, and to scroll faster than 1 line per event. That's why I sent
> >the little "scrolling" changeset last week (which is, in fact, independent
> >of the VM change so should work with your solution, too ...)
>
> Is that why you used the command modifier?

Exactly. It's just to distinguish, on the Squeak side, between normal
up/down and scrolling up/down.

> I couldn't figure out why you did that, so I just chose key up and key down.
> I thought command-up was reserved for 'jump to top of document' and
> command-down for 'jump to end of document'.

I didn't know these reserved meanings - is this a Windows thing? If you
think another modifier would be better, that's no problem at all. How
about option?

> I also couldn't figure out what the effect of the changes to the
> keybuf-stuff was. Please explain.

Appending a key to the keybuf was hard-coded (once) in the Unix VM. I
needed that piece of code for inserting at another place, so I simply put
it in a function to be called twice. Oh, I just see in the
Windows VM code it is already duplicated, in recordVirtualKey() and
recordKeystroke(). So you can, of course, duplicate it again. Or factor it
as I did ;-)

> I'll have to look into mouse wheelin' for the NT version so I might as well
> align my solution to your's.

If you modify your code to generate command+up/down keystrokes you should
be able to just file in my changeset and happily go scrolling :-)

> Bis bald, Reinier.

Groeten,

/bert

--
 Bert Freudenberg                                       Department of
                                                        Simulation and