Squeak 2.4b keeps Crashing

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Thu Apr 29 21:23:34 UTC 1999

Peter -

>I am running the Windows version of Squeak 2.4b on my laptop pentium
>processor using Windows95. I have gotten the image running a few times. But
>it almost always comes up with the following "crash.dmp" stack dump.

Your stack dump is identical to that of Pablo and Laurence, so clearly we have a systematic problem of some sort.  All are Pentium machines running windows, and I believe that I recall your machine as being one of the ones with the "Float bug" that was noted last February.  Both Andreas and I are at a loss as to what may be causing this problem, but we suggest that *all three of you* try the following:

If you can run Squeak 2.3 on the machine that crashes, see if you can print the result of

	10000000000 asFloat

It should be 1.0e10, obviously, but it might crash on that machine.

If it crashes then, on *another* machine, start up 2.4b and put comments around <primitive: 54> in Float>>timesTwoPower:, and store the image with that change.  Then test whether the altered image will run properly on the machine that was failing to run 2.4b before.

It is possible that the startup code in 2.4b touches this hardware bug, and triggers the later problem by corrupting some Squeak object.  Disabling primitive 54 could be an effective workaround.

Please respond directly to me and not to the Squeak list (I have kept this public in case anyone else is having this problem).

Thanks
	- Dan