Thinking about a better UI

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Wed Apr 14 17:47:49 UTC 1999

shaping at bigfoot.com wrote:

> [...]

Hard to say what you actually used. There are some other systems (free and
commercial) based on the Oberon-2 _language_ that have fairly conventional
UIs. Oberon System 3 originated with the original dedicated Oberon
workstations and retains most of the original ideas, concepts, and design.
[For maximal confusion, there is also an Oberon V4 system, which is still
another sort of beast -- Oberon System 3 is the current actively developed
system by ETH Zurich.]

The contrasts and similarities between Squeak and Oberon System 3 are most
interesting. The basic philosophies of language and system design could
hardly be further apart (except for the desire to maximize simplicity and
generality), but the end results are surprisingly alike.

-- Dwight