Separating virtual machine and image files on Windows NT

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Thu Apr 29 14:58:00 UTC 1999

At 11:51 PM -0500 4/28/99, shaping at bigfoot.com wrote:
>I have my virtual machine and DLLs in one directory and my .image, .changes,
>and .sources files in another.   I formed a shortcut to run squeak.exe with
>a full path to the .image file.  I double clicked the shortcut.  This caused
>Squeak to appear with a warning about not being able to find the .changes
>file.
>
>Why would Squeak not look in the same directory where it was told to find
>(and actually found) an .image file?  I don't want to duplicate my virtual
>machines unnecessarily by throwing each of several different images into
>separate directories with their own copy of a particular virtual machine.
>Does anyone know what to do here?

I suspect that the error you got referred to the .sources file,
which should be placed in the same directory as the virtual machine
and DLL's (since it can be shared by all your images).

Another trick that might work for you (it works on the Mac) is
to make a shortcut to the Squeak .exe file and leave it on your
desktop. You can then drop any image file onto it to start that
image. (I don't use Squeak on Window every day, but I think this
trick works there.)

Hope this helps!

	-- John