68K VM (was: A wrinkle... or just beauty marks...)

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Fri Apr 23 13:57:46 UTC 1999

Rick,

The readme file needs to be updated; thanks for pointing this out.
The project files in the 2.4 image are correct, but you may have
forgotten to dump unstuff the archive. Your assumption about the
file name change is correct.

What interests me *greatly* is that you've gotten the 68K VM to
work! Several people have had difficulty with this owing to
the new support for playing MIDI through Quicktime. Bruce
O'NEEL says the error he gets is:

  The application "Squeak VM 2.4 68K" could not be opened because
  "QuickTimeLib--NASetInstrumentNumber" could not be found.

Did you build your 68K VM in CodeWarrier?
If so, hold onto that 68K project file; I may want to look at it!

I think the real question is how you linked to the Quicktime
library. The problem we're seeing with the VM that I built is
that it refuses to start at all because it can't find the right
Quicktime shared library. This is true even with Quicktime 3.0
installed. It's also annoying that it demands this library
at startup time even though you haven't tried to use Quicktime
MIDI, so the 68K VM won't run at all.

Any insights?

	-- John