Squeak-Alice RE: Squeak 2.4 for Windows

Ian Trudel ian at monk.cgocable.ca
Thu Apr 22 05:48:15 UTC 1999

: -----Original Message-----
: From: Pierce, Jeff S. [mailto:Jeff.S.Pierce at disney.com]
: Sent: mercredi 21 avril 1999 23:46
: To: 'squeak at cs.uiuc.edu'
: Subject: RE: Squeak-Alice RE: Squeak 2.4 for Windows
:
: > hmmmm...but i am seeing the processor pegged, just by going
: > into Play With
: > Me 7. this is before i execute any commands, so Squeak-Alice
: > shouldn't be
: > *doing* anything. so you are saying that as long as the
: > camera is on, S-A is
: > rendering? interesting...
:
: Yup.  S-A is time based, so as soon as you enter a project with a
: Wonderland
: it starts incrementing its clock.  And until I work my way around
: to putting
: in the hooks to notify the renderer whether or not anything has changed in
: the visual field it assumes it needs to render every frame.
:
: For the curious, you can execute/print:
:
: scheduler getFPS

Check that out: scheduler getFPS results 5.88235294117395

: to find out what frame rate you're currently getting.
:
: You can also execute/print:
:
: scheduler getTime

And scheduler getTime results 26189.02800000003

Ok, ok.. I've hurd you.. I need a new Video card. ;;P

[ Snipped some Wonder-Wonderland stuff ]

: If for some reason you can't live with Squeak-Alice using as much of your
: CPU has it can get, look at WonderlandCameraMorph->stepping->stepTime and
: change the value to something larger than 1.  However, this will put a
: ceiling on your frame rate, and the surgeon general has determined that
: working with interactive 3D graphics at a frame rate below 10 fps is
: incredibly aggravating and prone to shorten your life out of sheer
: frustration.

I've tried WonderlandCameraMorph->stepping->stepTime at 500. It goes way
better. And the animation is _not that bad_. Though I doubt others are as
patient as I am. Truely, my P133 is outdated for such ::)

: Besides, your CPU has been needing a good workout, hasn't it?  =)
:
: Jeff
:

Ian

(Oh yah, thanks for Wonder-Wonderland tips ;;P hehe)