Thinking about a better UI

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Fri Apr 16 05:45:01 UTC 1999

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Jarvis, Robert P. wrote:

> This may be taken as blasphemy in some quarters, but in Windows you can use
> Ctrl-Tab and Shift-Ctrl-Tab to migrate between windows within an MDI
> application.  Perhaps Squeak could incorporate something similar..?

Not an unreasonable request... I rarely use keyboard shortcuts myself, but
this is probably the most basic/essential shortcut that you could have.

Here's a small step toward implementing this.  This brings up the menu
list of windows if you press Ctrl-Tab in Morphic.  (Unfortunately, your
keyboard focus must not be in an existing window, so you may need to click
outside of the windows first.)

'From Squeak 2.3 of January 14, 1999 on 16 April 1999 at 1:24:27 am'!

!WorldMorph methodsFor: 'events' stamp: 'dew 4/16/1999 01:23'!
keyStroke: evt
	evt keyValue = 9
		ifTrue: [self activeHand findWindow]! !

All that remains to be done is to cycle through the menu upon successive
Ctrl-Tab presses, bringing up successive windows..  (Okay, a fair amount of
work, still... :-) )  Also, Morph would need to be overridden to pass any
Ctrl-Tab events along to the WorldMorph somehow.

(In the process of figuring this out, I noticed that there's already
sort-of a shortcut in MVC to get to the list of windows... just
shift-left-click.)

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technogies, Ann Arbor, MI
  dway at eai.com, dway at mat.net