Squeak and MP3 support? (& DVD too!)

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at launchpados.com
Thu Apr 1 22:51:10 UTC 1999

MP3 decoding is pretty compute-intensive and probably would not be a good
candidate for C translation, which violates the Squeak Portability
Commandment.  Most, if not all, implementations use assembly to reduce the
CPU load to an acceptable level.  However, there's some Open Source for MP3
players at <http://www.freeamp.org> that could probably be wrapped in a
platform independent primitive to decode an MP3 stream to a
Squeak-compatible sound buffer, if somebody wanted to take a stab at it
(Chris?).

A quick look leads me to believe it would probably take a day or so for an
Intel-only version, and some more time to support each of the other
platforms.  Most of the code looks pretty clean and portable - it's just
those nasty assembly routines that mean trouble.

Chris Norton writes:
>Hi Folks.
>
>Although I am not much of a computer audio guy, I know that a number of you
>are, based on the discussions I have lurked over on this mailing list.
>However, I was watching the news the other day and I saw some interesting
>stuff about MP3, the new compressed audio format that all of the music
>companies are arguing over.  There is a product(s?) that you can buy that
>lets you download and play these new files.  It occurred to me that this
>whole concept could easily be embraced by Squeak.  Squeak runs on
>everything, it has web accessing capabilities, and it already has
>significant audio and multi-media extensions.  I wonder if you audio-philes
>are aware/interested in adding an MP3 extension to Squeak?

Duane Maxwell         dmaxwell (at) launchpados.com
CTO                      http://www.launchpados.com
Launchpad, Inc.                 (619) 578-8500 x226

Information contained herein is my personal opinion
    and not necessarily that of Launchpad, Inc.