Squeak as Helper App -- can we fix Macs?

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Apr 9 13:40:37 UTC 1999

We have a couple of applications now where clicking on a link in a browser
opens up Squeak, reads squeak.image, and then reads the input file and does
something reasonable with it.  We have it working with SqueakPages (as
posted awhile ago), and now we have it working with Lex Spoon's MuSwiki
tool, too.

On Solaris, NT, and Win95, Squeak-as-helper-app works great on every click.
You click the first one: Squeak opens and the linked document opens.  You
make other clicks, and Squeak opens each of the docs.

However, on the Mac, it only works on the first click.  Squeak only reads
the external file when it first opens, so every other click on a linked
document does nothing in Squeak.

I don't know how it was made to work in the other VMs, so maybe it's really
hard to do on the Mac.  Can any of the VM builders comment on how we might
be able to get the Mac VM to work similarly?

Thanks!
 Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu