VM Crash when running squeak2.4 on my notebook...

Laurence Rozier lrozier at thepattern.com
Fri Apr 23 17:27:46 UTC 1999

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> Pablo and Laurence -
>
> It is interesting that you both have IDENTICAL crash dumps.  I found this alarming, and immediately dove into what exactly is happening in the VM.  However what is happening (loading the instVar, 'key' from an assoication in the Smalltalk dictionary) is very simple, and almost impossible to crash, except if accessing a field of a corrupt object.
>
> Sooo...
>
> A possible explanation is that this is the first fatal thing that happens when you start up an image that was corrupted by some kind of file conversion (CR/LF in text?), and that you both happen to have had this happen.  I would greatly appreciate it if you would attempt to reinstall the Squeak image being careful that every transfer from the original files is done in pure binary mode, and let me know immediately of your results.

In both cases, I downloaded the .zip file from
 http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab/squeak/Squeak.zip

That really *should* insulate the image file from corruption. I downloaded this file
and installed it successfully on another machine. I then copied that file over my
network and installed it on my laptop in a new directory. I get the same crash.dmp result.
-Laurence