MVC or Morphic (was Re: Achieving escape velocity)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Tue Apr 13 09:29:36 UTC 1999

--On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 11:28 PM -0500 shaping at bigfoot.com wrote:

> [...]
[snip]
>> Aside from the resizing thing, I generally like working in Morphic more
>> than MVC, though.
>>
> I'm used to using a strict Domain Adaptor Architecture (like that
> described in Tim Howard's VisualWorks book).  Is there something
> comparable or better in Squeak.  If I start using MVC while I'm playing
> with Morphic, will I eventually become disgusted with MVC and abandon it?
> Tell me now; save me some time.   Or, do I still get sufficiently greater
> performance from MVC to warrant the slower code production (behavior
> production) rates?

[snip]
>> To avoid frustration in general, I would recommend either programming in
>> Morphic or MVC, and not mixing the two too much.
>
> Sounds like good advice.  Which do you prefer?
[snip]

Depending on what you're doing, and with some care, it *seems* to be not
too difficult to use both, reasonably. In particular, the pluggable text,
list, and button classes are, IIRC, designed to make porting between MVC
and Morphic fairly straightforward. They are certainly easy enough to use
in MVC.

For me, right now, given my hardware, MVC is so much faster I generally
prefer it. For PDAs, again, at least right now AFAIK (and whatever other
hedges I can add), it's the only way to go.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.