Eliminating assignments and variable syntax (accessors)

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Thu Aug 5 17:00:03 UTC 1999

From:  Dean Swan at MITEL on 08/05/99 01:00 PM

You know, with all the time and typing that everyone has been spending debating
this issue, the very same people probably could have implemented these
proposals.  Squeak includes the source.  Just subclass the compiler and
prototype the things.  The only way you'll ever really understand how the
various schemes function in practice is to implement them and use them.

Besides, excepting Object, Magnitude, Behavior, and a handful of other classes,
isn't most of the standard image just window dressing (pun intended) and/or
experimental gadgets anyway?  ;-)

                    -Dean Swan
                    dean_swan at mitel.com

P.S. I just design embedded DSP systems for a living, and Squeak/Smalltalk is
mostly a "hobby" for me, but a widely held point of view in the LISP community
is "use LISP to write the language that you want to solve your problem in".
Wouldn't this strategy work equally well for Squeak/Smalltalk?

My point is that, with Squeak/Smalltalk,  you can have your cake and eat it too,
so shut-up already and go write some code. :-)