Old Smalltalk reference

Bruce C. Dillahunty bdillahu at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 22 01:22:56 UTC 1999

Please excuse my intrusion, but since this list seems to have many of the
"Smalltalk faithful", I thought somebody might be able to help me run down a
reference...

It a recent article "The Most Elegant Scripting Language You'll Probably Never
Use":

http://buzz.builder.com/cgi-bin/WebX?14@236.hs95a9MoeFg^0@.ee7bc67/0

Dan Shafer wrote:

>Those who know me and my programming predilections will hardly bat an eye to
>find I am not a big fan of Perl for two huge reasons: its lack of object
>orientation and its sparse (and, for me, unreadable) syntax. As a longtime
>advocate of object-oriented programming (OOP), and as an early (and still
>loyal) fan of Smalltalk as the best embodiment of OOP  we've seen yet, I have
>an aversion to unreadable procedural code. One of Smalltalk's earliest
>pioneers, Adele Goldberg, wrote a wonderful piece in the mid-1980s called,
>"Programmer as Reader." I have searched the Web and have not located a
>reference to it,  so I can't tell you exactly how to get a copy of it. But
>her central point was that as  programmers, we spend at least as much time
>reading and understanding code as we do writing code. So, if we put in some
>extra effort to make our code more readable, we would reap huge benefits.

I am interested in finding a copy of this "Programmer as Reader" article by
Adele Goldberg... anybody have any pointers?

Thanks,
Bruce

--
Bruce C. Dillahunty