A different view of Smalltalk

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Tue Aug 17 15:30:35 UTC 1999

Bob,

First, it's *sooooo* cool!

>Questions to answer:
>1. Can this provide useful information to beginning Smalltalkers?
>Intermediate? Advanced?

No idea! In DrScheme, when you Check Syntax, it colorizes it but also
dynamical draws arrows from the variable/whatever your mouse is over to
other instances of the same entity. I assume they think it's useful in
teaching.

>2. Can this become a tool for writing code as well as reading it?

No idea! But it's not far, I think, from tileMorphs.

Ooo, code patterns! You pull off the picture and fill in the blanks.

>3. Is it just a lot of pretty pictures?

But there's *a lot* of them, and they're *very* pretty!

Useful or not, it's *definitely* got that, "Oh wow!" factor! I find myself
uncontrollably using! exclamation! points!!! :)

Cheers,
Bijan.