WebObjects-like Classes

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Mon Aug 23 13:33:35 UTC 1999

Benjamin --

There are several possible routes. First, look at how the Swiki code works.
This sends html to a standard browser, and could be a starting place.
     Second, you could try the route that we use, which is to use Squeak
objects directly. Squeak gets started up as a helper from a browser, and
once started, it can interact with users and send its own objects around
the net using its own sockets. This works quite well. One place to see this
is to make a bookmorph with different pages and check out its main menu for
buttons that will put the pages out to disk or to a server. A bookmorph all
by itself is a database (like a hypercard stack of old). All text in a
bookmorph is gathered together for efficient searches, etc.
     There will be quite a bit more easier to get to functionality here
over the next few months ...

Cheers,

Alan

------