More Benchmark Results + Problems with Win32/WinCE VMs

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Fri Aug 20 15:17:32 UTC 1999

0123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789

Andreas,

     I did some more investigating last night.  First, a few more
benchmark results for comparison:

     iMac G3 333MHz, MacOS 8.6, 2.4c PPC VM, 2.4c Image

     25000000 to 26500000 bytecodes/s
     990500 to 1100000 sends/s

          Interesting side note: This is about 30% faster than
          my 450 MHz Pentium II at work.

     Pentium 133 MHz, Win 95, 2.4 VM, 2.5 image

     5200000 to 7500000 bytecodes/s
     about 343000 sends/s

I didn't write down exact numbers, but these are certainly accurate
within a few percent.

     Now on to the Win32 VM stuff.  Running on the P133 machine (a
Sharp Widenote), mouse clicks were definitely getting lost when
running in Morphic, and I also experienced long periods of un-
responsiveness - not as bad as on the Casio E-105, but several
seconds anyway.  This behavior was not apparent under the standard UI.

     I plan to spend some time looking over your Win32 VM source this
weekend, just to see if I can find any clues.  I'm currently thinking
that the long delays, and lost mouse clicks may be a Win32 issue (not
just WinCE), and just isn't noticable on faster machines.

     I'm also going to look more carefully at PasteUpMorph doOneCycle
and everything that goes on in that loop.  I want to find out if the
long delays are occupied by Smalltalk code running in Squeak, or if
Windoze is taking control away from the VM and not giving back right
away.

                              -Dean Swan

                              dean_swan at mitel.com