Keyboard Trouble

ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp
Sun Aug 8 12:49:02 UTC 1999

  Hi,

> I'm using an Intel computer (Pentium) with an
> international keyboard (us+ keytable).  The only key that
> doesn't work is the quote key, giving me a Yen (=A5)
> sign. In my keyboard the same key is used to get double
> quotes.  Any ideas why this happens?  PS: ( I have tried
> to get the sources and compile them but all works the same
> way)

  What OS and which VM you're using?  What is happening
seems that the OS and VM passes the code for "acute"
character (not "quote") in Latin-1 encoding (11/4) and it is
interpred as "yen sign" by Squeak image whose character set
is derived from Machintosh Character Set.

  I don't know the keyboard you're using, but there should
be a key/key combination to enter the quote character.

                                             OHSHIMA Yoshiki
                Dept. of Mathematical and Computing Sciences
                               Tokyo Institute of Technology =