SyntaxMorph in the debugger

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Tue Aug 24 22:28:39 UTC 1999

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 03:12:56 -0400 (EDT) Doug Way <dway at mat.net> wrote:
>Nice.  However, things could really start to get exciting if you tailored
>the SyntaxMorph pop-up menus to the debugging context.
>
>Clicking on any instance/temporary variable could show its current value
>in the pop-up!  (Then you wouldn't need the bottom panes on the debugger
>as much.)  Clicking on any MessageNode could show its returned object
>printString, if the code had executed that far.  (Maybe you could cache
>these returned objects.)  Clicking on "self" would show the receiver's
>current value, etc.  This context info could be at or near the top of the
>pop-up, while the more static information would follow.

Your wish is my command. I have released version 2 at:

http://www.charm.net/~arning/SyntaxMorph.24Aug623pm.cs

This version incorporates the previously released DebugMorph so that need not be filed in separately. In addition:

1. A glitch in the horizontal scrollbar is fixed.
2. In the when used in the debugger, balloon text is used to show the value of variables as the cursor passes over them. There are also additions to the popup menus to inspect or explore these values.
3. The method header, method temps and comments now behave more like the rest of the method.

Requirements:
1. Release 2.5 through changeset 1383.
2. Runs in MORPHIC only.
3. 16-bit color highly recommended