Squeak file stream performance

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at netsurf.de
Mon Aug 16 00:20:21 UTC 1999

>Does anyone have any experience with database acces in Squeak, e.g. how well
>the memory manager is suited for dealing with larger pieces of data?

File access in Squeak is unbuffered.  This could be fixed on the Smalltalk
side.  Additionally, I think the default VM on Windows is compiled with
file primitives which are based directly on the WinAPI calls (like
CreateFile and so one).

Playing around with different kinds of VM settings, I noticed a ~20%
speedup when using stdio-file access based primitives instead.  I
benchmarked the creation of an non-inlined interpreter.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.