OpenGL (again?)

agree at carltonfields.com agree at carltonfields.com
Wed Aug 4 02:33:39 UTC 1999

> If no one gets to it before I need it, I > probably will try
> to port JUN myself. Before I get that far in my project, I > first need to build
> fuzzy logic models and physical flight models. This is an > after hours project,
> so this will take some time for me to learn enough to build this.

Porting Jun to Squeak may be far more difficult than it may seem at first blush -- there is no simple "within Squeak" means for calling external libraries.  JUN relies quite heavily upon special provisions in VW for defining C-types and for marshalling Smalltalk types to C and back again in external library calls.  There is no corresponding facility yet in Squeak -- you will have to build your own direct interface using named primitives, which is somewhat more difficult and requires that you separately compile the plugin.

Several of us are working on PluginPlugin facilities for doing this, but that project seems to be on most actors' back-burners at the moment.  My principal interest in undertaking the project was PRECISELY to provide OpenGL access from within Squeak.

I'm not saying it isn't worth doing, or that it isn't possible -- just that it will require some fundamental hacking to accomplish.