New Squeak Porting Proposals

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Tue Aug 17 15:23:17 UTC 1999

From:  Dean Swan at MITEL on 08/17/99 11:23 AM

Andreas,

     The stylus interface works, as you've implemented it.  It's just not very
usable.  Because WinCE doesn't show the mouse cursor, and there is essentially
only one button with now Cmd or Option keys, a lot of the Squeak interface is
inaccessible (especially in Morphic).  This is compounded by the fact that
touching the stylus to the screen also generates a mouse down event, so
specifying a new screen location also commences a click or drag operation.  It
often takes several attempts to get a pane menu, and quite frequently you end up
scrolling the pane instead (under the non-morphic interface).

     The 'more serious' issues are something that I'm still tracking down, but
is related to #ProcessorScheduler class #relinquishProcessorForMicroseconds:.  I
haven't taken more than a cursory look at the source for your MIPS VM, but in
poking around in Smalltalk, I've found some problems.  I currently suspect that
they are actually WinCE problems.
     A couple of people (myself included) have commented on the apparent
sluggishness of the UI on the Casio E100/105, but I was pretty sure it isn't an
interpreter problem because a lot of things like sound synthesis and the
character recognizer work fine and feel fast.  Morphic reveals this sluggishness
quite dramatically.  Trying out  the SameGame morph, which is quite UI
intensive, but not all that processor intensive revealed a lot.  To make it
work, you have to click and hold for several seconds, and many times need to
repeat this action before the click is acted on.

     My first thought on this was that perhaps the #idleProcess was giving up
too much time to WinCE, so I tried changing it as follows:

     idleProcess
          "A default background process which is invisible."

          [true] whileTrue: [true].
               "[self relinquishProcessorForMicroseconds: 1000]."

This resulted, fairly quickly, in a WinCE dialog box popping up that said:
'Squeak is going to CRASH right NOW.'

     That's about as far as I've gotten with it so far, since Squeak is just an
evenings and weekends thing for me.  I've also thought that perhaps the lost
clicks thing that others have mentioned in desktop Windows VMs might be related
to what's going on.

                                   -Dean Swan

"Raab, Andreas" <Andreas.Raab at disney.com> on 08/16/99 08:14:20 PM

Please respond to squeak at cs.uiuc.edu