Collecting Smalltalk idioms

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Tue Aug 10 23:47:45 UTC 1999

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 17:47:39 -0400 agree at carltonfields.com wrote:
>And so it goes.  I ask the question then, which is the preferable course when building an application (hopefully) of general utility for the Squeak community:
>
>	(1) Use one of the above idioms when the issue arises;
>	(2) Use another idiom;
>	(3) Extend Collection with #do:separatedBy:, however implemented; or
>	(4) Lobby Squeak Central to add #do:separatedBy:?

The answer is: 3 followed by 4. Do it once for your code. See that it works. See that it is good. Release your code. Let us (I will, for one) ask that it be included. They've got enough on their plate already (if I don't miss my guess), so we can implement, test and certify this puppy. Then we let them know that this is cool and we want it. I think they respond well to that sort of thing.

Cheers,
Bob