True Type Fonts.

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Thu Dec 9 11:56:58 UTC 1999

Bob Arning wrote:

> I did a Squeak interface to FreeType, but the notice of possible legal
> problems leaves me with an uneasy feeling WRT releasing the code to the world.
>
> Cheers,
> Bob

Hmm, this sounds very interesting. I never released my sub-pixel rendering
stuff because of the lack of good TT support in Squeak. I also looked at
using FreeType, and it sounded like the best way to go. In particular, what
Squeak would need would be the ability to use FT for hinting etc.

And I don't think releasing your own code could ever get you into trouble,
could it? As long as everyone dl'ed the FreeType code themselves. Of course,
there might be a problem if you needed to modify the FT code, but I was
thinking you would only need to write an interface to it.

What can you code do?

And do you know if FT, when it has applied hinting to an outline, can
deliver the results to Squeak in the form of outlines or a pixmap?

Henrik

< = > .