[Newbie] Is squeak thread-safe ?

Guillaume Rams guillaume.rams at sema.fr
Thu Dec 16 18:48:20 UTC 1999

> Implement a custom 'safe' VM minus the primitives.  That would fix it
> regardless of what the image wanted to do.  Incidentally, the VM doesn't

Great idea ! One question through : is the image loaded with file i/o
primitives, or does it use "private" code ?

> One question: How do you intend to get the initial script *into* your
> scripting interpreter?  Is the 'script' an entire image?  A
> block?  A chunk
> of text to be compiled as if in a Transcript?  If it's not an image, that
> implies that the pre-existing image must be tricked into running
> the script
> at startup, which might be an interesting exercise.

Well, I thought that it should start with a small image that contains
general-purpose and widley-known classes (collections, magnitudes,
numbers...). It would have to implement also "IActiveScriptParse" (not sure
it's the exact name for it) to be able to receive scripts as strings from
the host (the browser for instance). When squeak is called to parse a
script, it would store it as a block, somewhere (I don't know where
exaclty), and execute it when asked to. No need to trick the image here I
guess :-) However, I thought that such a facility would exist, as I have
seen it in other smalltalk environment. Can't it be done with squeak ?
Moreover, the "parser" interface allows retrieval of the PARAM and / or DATA
attributes of an OBJECT. Maybe one could reach an image with the OBJECT tag,
and then launch one's scripts within it...

Anyway, thank you for your advice about COM use, you seem to know it much
more than I do ! :-)

Guillaume Rams