Running multiple VM on one image

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at IT-IQ.com
Wed Dec 15 14:06:18 UTC 1999

> Is it possible to extend this to cover a whole network?

> I'm thinking for some time about trying to build some kind of
> "Distributed Squeak".

Check out the MUSHROOM* project at the University of Manchester.  Ian
Piumarta will no doubt have some more recent references, having worked on
that project.  I proof-read at least one Ph.D. thesis from Rhodri Davies
about just such a distributed environment that he built using ParcPlace 2.3?
by subclassing nil and using proxy objects.  I've been monitoring the whole
image segment thing with some interest because that also may provide a
(special-case) way of throwing state between images.

		- Peter

* Multi-user sexy hardware rendering obsolete other machines**
** OK, it was really Manchester University Software and Hardware realisation
of an Object Oriented Machine.