SqueakBook

Ali Chamas alichamas at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 23:50:50 UTC 1999

Hi Mark, hi Jeff!

--- Mark Guzdial <guzdial at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> At 11:55 AM -0500 12/14/99, Jeff Pierce wrote:
> >Wait two weeks: I'm in the process of writing the
> Squeak Alice chapter for
> >Mark's book, and I'll put it somewhere the Squeak
> community can read and
> >comment on it when the draft is ready.

Where? Gimi gimi! I Can't wait! Is this purely an
Alice book? Or is it the begining of Squeaks
built-in-help? On that note, are there plans for a
help system which can file in new distributed notes,
support runtime entry additions, (maybe even
auto-scribe a class into a topic of the total
collection). I envisaged this as a collapse/expand
tree view which held many sections. You could create a
topic topology which began at abstract groupings of
topics, then worked it's way down to specific branches
of information. Classes, mechanisms, general subject
theory (graphics programming, sound synthesis, object
management, network, workspace). Due to the
orientation of Smalltalk (and Squeak) being a world of
exploration, a good learning tool would certainly be a
complementary device.

> Just to let everyone know: As soon as I get chapters
> for the edited
> volume, I'll be PDF-ing them and posting them on a
> Swiki for review
> and comment.  More later...

Have i told anybody that i'm the resident volunteer
graphic artist for the Squeak crew? Hmmmmm, does this
book need a cover? A logo? Images? Typography?
Anything? Quality not a problem ;->

Ali.