Question about compiling plug-ins with MPW

Stephen T. Pope stp at create.ucsb.edu
Fri Dec 3 17:43:07 UTC 1999

Hello Andrew (et al.),

Excuse me for wasting your time with "newbie" questions, but I'm having
a problem using the MPW makefiles -- I can't seem to get any plug-ins to work.

Situation: I have the MPW VM running just fine with 2.6++ sources (with
several very minor changes to the support files relative to your change
set), and I'm trying to rebuild the 3D plug-in as a test of whether I
can get *any* self-built plug-ins to work.

In order to make the 3D plug-in according to your makefile, I first
generate the sources from B3DEnginePlugin class. This creates the
sources in a file named Balloon3D.c, which I rename to Squeak3D.c since
that's what the makefile MPWsqueak3D.make expects. The compile and link
go fine, resulting in a file named MPWSqueak3D, which has to be renamed
to Squeak3D, no?

At any rate, when I place this file in the same folder with the VM and
VI (replacing the original Squeak3D library), then fire up an image and
try to move to the project with the 3D stuff in it (PlayWithMe7), I
always get the message that the 3D plug in isn't available. If I swap
out the plug-in with the original version, it works fine.

I'm not certain if I'm doing something simple wrong that I haven't told
you, but the VM works AOK. I also don't fully understand the PEF fork
stuff and the ModPef command after the link, but that's probably not the question.

The reason I'm interested at all is that I want to make the MIDI support
prims a plug-in, and I failed after several attempts to get it together
with CodeWarrior. I also have a whole drawer full of DSP code I'd like
to plug in.

....any assistance most appreciated...

--

stp