Buffered File I/O?

Stephen T. Pope stp at create.ucsb.edu
Sun Dec 5 15:51:08 UTC 1999

Thanks for the responses, guys -- and that on a Saturday evening!

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> John, Andreas and I have all wanted to do this for years.  The original Apple
> Smalltalk was this way, and there is a lot to recommend it.  It should not be
> all that hard to do, and it WOULD be considerably faster (and just wait, heh-heh).

So what's the last comment supposed to mean (other than to pique my interest)???

"Raab, Andreas" wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> What I basically did was subclassing
> StandardFileStream with a BufferedFileStream that used the Stream primitives
> for 99% of the important stuff

I guess that's the standard approach, except that you need a flush primitive.

> Note that there are some tricky issues associated with buffered i/o such as
> flushing dirty buffers in the right place.

Yeah, and stale cache bugs are among the kind that I like least to have
to debug.

> You will *probably* also need a file flush primitive

Right..

Well, is there any way I can help you, Andreas? Can I take something
else off the top of your stack to free up cycles for I/O??

--

stp
  Stephen Travis Pope