A Crazy Idea (?)

Shaun M. Smith shaun at clrstream.com
Fri Dec 10 17:51:29 UTC 1999

I pointed this out before on this list, but Eric Arseneau and Andrew Brault
had built PocketJava on PocketSmalltalk for the Palm Pilot.  Thier
implementation translated Java byte codes to Smalltalk byte codes rather
than using dual VM like ST/X.

You can find some slides from Smalltalk Solutions'99 on PocketSmalltalk and
PocketJava at http://www.pocketsmalltalk.com/Solutions99/index.htm  I'm not
sure if work is proceeding on PocketJava given the big players are working
on similar products, but PocketSmalltalk is open source and perhaps the
PocketJava source is also available.  I'm guessing a port to Squeak is
possible if you really must have Java in Squeak (sigh).

	Shaun

Shaun M. Smith                     ClearStream Consulting Inc.
Main Phone   403.264.5840          1200-250 6th Avenue SW
Direct Phone 403.267.6327          Calgary, Alberta
Home Phone   403.270.8953          Canada T2P 3H7
shaun at clrstream.com (business)/ shaun.smith at acm.org (personal)