Display speed on large monitor

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Sun Dec 19 22:31:11 UTC 1999

ryan daum <opiate at saturn5.com> wrote...
>I am using Squeak 2.6 on the Win32 VM on Windows 98 on a P2-266 with an
>ImageAccel 2 card on a 20" 256-grayscale monitor.  The card can only
>operate in one of two modes: 640x480 or 1600x1280.  Rendering speed in
>Squeak is an order of magnitude slower than rendering speeds in any
>Windows applications, and makes it pretty much unusable for me.  I like
>the way Squeak looks in grayscale, and having all the extra working space,
>but I can't make it behave at a reasonable speed.  I tried reduce colour
>bit depth to 8, 4, or 1, but this didn't improve behaviour that much.
>
>Are there newer additions to the BitBlt code for Squeak that would improve
>this?  Any support for hardware graphics acceleration?  I'd like to know..

The next release of Squeak (2.7 or possibly 2.8) should run BitBlt significantly faster on little-endian machines such as yours, though not an order of magnitude improvement (Andreas may prove me wrong on this ;-).

Meanwhile, more important than reducing the Squeak display depth is making sure that it is the *same as* the OS display depth setting.

Hope this helps.

	- Dan