[HOW DO I?] Objects to/from disk...

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Tue Dec 21 11:14:42 UTC 1999

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Ali Chamas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Whats *THE BEST WAY* to store/read objects to/from
> disk? Can any object be converted to a binary form,
> then read-in? Is it true that you must have the class
> defined before creating a new object? I've noticed
> that different classes implement their own read/write
> methods here and there, suggesting that it's not as
> simple as archiving anything to/from disk. Can anybody
> update my knowledge :? My Stream experience is a
> little fresh...<GASP!!>

There are at least three variants ...

1.)	storeOn:/readFrom: - recursively stores source code that is
	compiled and evaluated on loading.
2.)	storeDataOn:/readDataFrom: - uses SmartRefStream for
	recursive binary storage.
3.)	ImageSegments - basically stores/loads parts of the object memory.

The is the simplest to understand, the second is faster and allows classes
to be stored, the last one is the most advanced - it's so hot I didn't
even try it yet ;-)

  -Bert-