[ENH] PackageBrowser for 2.6

Stephen T. Pope stp at create.ucsb.edu
Fri Dec 3 23:07:35 UTC 1999

"David N. Smith (IBM)" wrote:
> [ ... ]
> Looks nice! A few comments (from running it on 2.7):

Thanks for your input!

> (1) When there are no dashed items the default is for the second pane
> to be blank. It took me a moment to discover that I had to unselect
> my selection in the first pane to cause the same list to appear in
> pane two and then I had to find my item again.

Two answers, first, a nil selection in the packages (left-most) pane
shows the whole category list in the category (2nd-from-the-left) pane.
This is the way the tool opens up, so I thought it would be obvious to users.

2nd, since I consider category names witout package names to be a bug,
I'm not rushing to handle that situation.

> Would it be reasonable and possible to have the third pane show the
> classes in this case?

It does!

> It's interesting to note that if a package name has the form
> 'MyName-' then a dash appears in the second pane and it can be
> selected to see the classes. Maybe something like a 'default'
> trailing dash can be used when there is no dash?

I never even thought of something as pervers as a category name with a
trailing hyphen...

> (2) The three buttons (Instance/?/Class) seem to be positioned partly
> behind the lower pane. (Try to move the upper boundary and see what
> outline gets selected.

I'm not sure I understand; they're composed just the way they are in the
standard browser.

> I suspect this browser will have the effect of encouraging people to
> break large additions into smaller parts since it doesn't make the
> category list grow with each part.

I certainly hope so!

--

stp