Intervals

Jarvis, Robert P. Jarvisb at timken.com
Tue Dec 7 13:33:30 UTC 1999

Humorously, I recently learned that members of the peerage in England were
(and perhaps still are :-) entitled to be hung with a silk rope if the need
arose.  Could have been quite useful in certain circumstances...

	Hangman:  'E wants to be 'ung with a *wot*?
	Lackey:  A silk rope, is wot 'e says.
	H:  A silk rope?
	L:  Aye, that's them toffs for you.  Always mucking about with silk
ropes and such...
	H:  Bugger that!  'E'll be 'ung with a nice, normal rope, same as me
gran'dad always used.  Wonderful hangman, ol' Gran was.  Never heard of
*'im* usin' a bloody silk rope, you never did.  It was good, stout hemp for
him, and it's good, stout hemp for me.
	L:  Yeah, well, 'is nibs says it's his roight, what with 'im bein' a
lord an' all.
	H:  Bloody hell!  Where'm I s'posed to find a bloody silk rope, I
ask you?  Prob'ly have to send all the way to London for the bloody thing.
I'll wager they've got lots of 'em in some musty old corner of the Tower,
they do, just moldering away to nothing, while out *'ere* where we actually
*need* the bloody things, do you think we can get one?  <sigh>  Well, I'm
off to London.  You keep a sharp eye on 'is nibs, then.  Don't let 'im slip
away while I'm gone.  I figure I'll be about a month getting there, allow
another six months to get an audience with the Lord 'igh Executioner, busy
as 'e is, then another month to get back.  Allowin' for bad weather an'
strikes an' all, Oi should be back sometime after St. Swithin's day, but
prob'ly before Michaelmas.  Prob'ly...

:-)

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken