InstantMessaging alpha release...

Steve Wart swart at home.com
Fri Dec 24 04:10:16 UTC 1999

When I used to use a Mac every day (years ago), we used CE QuickMail, which
had a great little feature called QuickConference.

It was so elegant and easy to use, I was really quite put off when I finally
did look at ICQ.  (QuickMail was also a great mail program in general).

Not being up on the proprietary Instant Messaging Protocol wars, what are
the options for coming up with an *open* instant messaging protocol?

I have heard that protocol design is a difficult thing, and I have also
heard that IRC is for some reason a bad design (probably because it's from
Scandinavia :-).

This sounds like a job for Squeak!