[Bug?!] FileDirectory>>fullNameFor: (was RE: [ENH] UnixFileDirectory tweak)

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Fri Dec 17 09:03:08 UTC 1999

All,

While looking into the below stated problem I found that the stuff does
actually work on Windows. Looking into it I found that what's really
happening is that the file is opened using the name returned from
FileDirectory>>fullNameFor: which got me wondering....

FileDirectory default fullNameFor: 'hello'
	=>  'C:\Squeak\2.6\hello'

FileDirectory default fullNameFor: 'C:\Squeak\2.6\hello'
	=>  'C:\Squeak\2.6\hello'

FileDirectory default fullNameFor: 'hello\hello'
	=>  'hello\hello'

Oops?!?! The latest is not what one would expect from #fullNameFor: but it
seems that's what's making the stuff below work. Now is that a bug or what?!
Could somebody try something alike on other platforms (e.g., Unix, Mac) that
support relative path names?! Any comments on what the behavior of
#fullNameFor: *should* be?! (preferredly from people who have already run
into this situation ;-) It seems to me that the 'bug' is pretty much what
you want since without a full qualification of the name you just start from
a default directory (note to Bert: the default directory could be set to the
image directory from the VM; so you would get exactly what you expect, and
that's why this stuff actually works on windows ;-)

Thanks,
  Andreas