localizing numbers with commas

John Duncan jddst19+ at pitt.edu
Thu Dec 9 17:54:56 UTC 1999

A Regents-qualified text that I used in high school came from Canada
and obviously had this on their mind.  Instead of confusing the
decimal, they used the American decimal mark but no commas, like this:

125 320.9991

The nonbreaking (aligning) space was used as the thousands separator.
This meant that any occurring comma was always linguistic.  I also
found it very easy to read.  In later years, when I was able to
produce this effect on my Macintosh with ease, it was met with
criticism.  So I was badgered into doing it the American-as-apple-pie
way.

Les values 8, 2,3, 0,15, et 3,1.  It does seem weird that they would
have chosen this separator, I never noticed the problem when I was
taking French.  I also think it's strange that the French say, "deux
point trois" for the second number, and then use the comma.  If the
world had ever thought this out, we'd have a different fraction
separator, like a raised dot.

-John