True Type Fonts.

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Sun Dec 12 21:46:13 UTC 1999

> In the basics, the major
> difference I believe is that PS outlines use cubic equations while TT uses
> squared ones. These equations are also very similar to those of EPS and PS
> in general, so this would practically mean support for a new file format.
> suspect that Flash outlines might be very similar to this format already,
> because of its heritage, but I don't know.

Flash outlines are squared beziers, not cubics (there's got to be a reason
for me to add *TTF* support when the Balloon engine came forward, heh, heh).
But it's a good idea to keep in mind that while squared bezier
representations can be trivially replaced by cubics this is not true in
rendering - e.g., you're loosing quite a bit of speed when you start
rendering cubic beziers instead of squared beziers (mainly because forward
differencing is inherently numerically instable and needs very careful
observation for different types of curves - I'd need to go to much higher
accuracy for cubics than for squared beziers and also there is an extra step
involved in evaluating cubics, plus the additional more complicated setup,
bla, bla, bla ;-)

  Andreas