Public Swikis

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Dec 18 20:50:50 UTC 1999

"Andrew C. Greenberg" <werdna at gate.net> wrote:
> I am quite certain that if it were the other way around, the vast
> majority of us would regularly send single messages for quite a long
> time, thinking that they were broadcasting to the "group."

The reply-to page rebuts the arguments you mention.  In this case, it
points out that while mistakes can happen in either case, the mistake is
less harmful in the non-munged case.

There are also other good reasons, but instead of reiterating them here,
let me allow people to go read the page :)

> I acknowledge there are reasonable arguments on both sides.  My view is
> that the convention of reply-munging, right or wrong, is so ingrained
> in the average list service user as to make any attempt to reverse it
> by fiat far more costly than any measurable benefit.

I don't think this is really true; there are many lists that do it each
way.

> But this is probably not the forum for such a non-topical ideological
> dispute.  I just wanted to register in response to Randall's message
> that this "victim" blames his own feeble-mindedness, and not any list
> service conventions.

IMHO, there is the right way, and there is people's first intuition.
There are always people on the list who have thought the issue all the
way through, and there are always people who haven't thought that about
the issue that much.  Each of these will reach the opposite conclusion,
and so the debate will never end :)

Lex