Public Swikis

Steve Wart swart at home.com
Sat Dec 18 18:06:28 UTC 1999

> I would add to this list:
>
> - No client software to install, maintain or upgrade

But some client intelligence would be nice...

> - No server software to install, maintain or upgrade

Someone has to manage it. You could say much the same thing about FP-based
services.

> - The collaborative features: viewing references, searching, history,
> annotation, page locking and unlocking, email notification (soon), etc.

These features are nice, but they would be easy to provide even without
Swikis.

> If you've ever used FrontPage, you'll quickly discover that it's not the
> sort of thing the average person is likely to want to deal with.
> A Swiki is not simply about easily creating a web page.
>
> - Stephen

I think a Swiki should be a documentation server. The documents are
HTML-centric; although there is some "sugar" to make it easier for some
people, they are still too painful. A text editor is a major step backward
for documentation, IMHO (although I agree that not everyone has progressed
from there yet, esp. in the Linux/CS world).

Steve