Display speed on large monitor

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Wed Dec 29 21:09:22 UTC 1999

Ryan,

> Interesting... it's just that performance in windows is far
> far superior to graphics performance in Squeak.
> Operations in windows are actually quite fast,
> while in Squeak they are unusably slow.

Squeak is using exactly one function of the graphics driver - copying a
bitmap of arbitrary depth to the screen. Common Windows applications hardly
ever use this function (except from image manipulation programs). You may
want to check how well some of these perform.

> Hmm, well judging by performance in other apps, I don't
> see why Squeak should be so significantly slower....

See above. If that single function isn't performing well you will feel the
impact quite heavily.

> OH well, I suppose I'll just stick to squeaking at work...

Or maybe it's time to get a new machine ;-)

  Andreas