[Newbie] Is squeak thread-safe ?

Guillaume Rams guillaume.rams at sema.fr
Fri Dec 17 11:30:59 UTC 1999

> Let me ask a question before I go on to your stuff. If you want to use a
> script like the above you have to make sure that a class like NodeList is
> known to the environment. Have you thought about how this could
> be handled?!

Well, I know it may be considered poor design, so no flame please.
I think that there is some kind of instanceof or iskindof when you inspect a
COM object (I'm really NOT an expert of it). I wanted to use a factory that
holds a dictionary that associates a IFooBar interface to a IFooBarWrapper
class in the image. If there is no association, let's use the
IGenericWrapper class (I'll try to find a more accurate name). The generic
wrapper only knows messages dispatched to the wrapped COM object (and Object
class messages of course). However, one can subclass this wrapper to create
a IFooBarWrapper that adds utility, and more "smalltalkish" methods.
For instance, the DOMNodeList interface is a collection that is not very
Collection-like. It has a length property, and a item(index) method. Suppose
you really need the do: message ? Create an OrderedCollection subclass that
wraps the IDOMNodeList, with nice methods like do:. Then, when you script,
tell the factory to use your class (it might even download it if it's not in
the image already).
I really want to start with a limited image with only CORE classes (no MVC -
no use for it - nothing graphical). It don't think that sound or network
primitves are required neither. If you want to play sound, use the plugin
;-) ! I really see that as a programming language provider. I really _hate_
Javascript, and VBScript even more. They are good to create a five lines
script, but do not allow easily created complete GUI programming in the
browser. We really _need_ a real programming language in the browser. It may
be something else than smalltalk, but I like smalltalk :-) !

Guillaume Rams