[Bug?!] FileDirectory>>fullNameFor: (was RE: [ENH] UnixFileDirectorytweak)

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Fri Dec 17 19:54:31 UTC 1999

> 	aFile _ (CrLfFileStream readOnlyFileNamed: filename) ascii.
>
> Why shouldn't this work with a relative path in Unix?!
This is exactly what I have been trying to warn about w.r.t CrLfFileStream for
months. Take a look at how CLFS inherits from StandardFileStream. See how it
thereby _does not_ use the FileStream methods that use fullNameFor: to sort out
the path!

I've offered at least two temportay fixes before. I also think it demonstrates
the needto separate the name and stream parts, somewhat as VW does.
It also demonstrates the danger of creating a concrete subclass of a concrete
subclass of an abstract-yet-user class. Or something like that - You're
supposed to use FileStream, which works out which concrete subclass to use etc.
Having a directly used concrete class below that can cause all sorts of
confusion - as here.

tim

--
Useful random insult:- There she sits, Finite State Automaton at its best.
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 842-6110 (w)